Friday, November 16, 2007

FO: Child's Placket Sweater

It feels like it has been ages since i last finished a knitted project. Perhaps that's because i have several on the go at once instead of just concentrating on one at a time. This little guy took me about 3 weeks on and off.

Name: Child's Placket Sweater

Pattern: Can be found here for free - Thank you purlsoho

Yarn: Chubby Baby Yarn in blue, less than 100g

Notes: I am still a new knitter and i found this pattern a little confusing at first. It is knitting in the round and this is the first time that i have knitted a sweater using the method that the pattern calls for. Once I found some alone time I managed to get my head around it. When I think about it, it probably wasn’t as difficult as I thought it was but I guess that is the fun of learning something new.

Overall: I must admit that I feel a little disappointed with this FO. Not in anyway because of the pattern but because of my level of skill. Take a look at the photos below.


Yup - those are big ugly ladders that you can see. Luckily, it has happened on both arms so OH says it looks like its part of the pattern. I so appreciated his kindness and thoughtfulness because I can not tell you how close I was getting my scissors out and just cutting it into a hundred insy winsy pieces.
While knitting with my dpns I tried so hard to make sure that I pulled that first stitch so very tightly but alas it looks like I wasn’t doing as well as I thought I was. I don’t just have that one ladder on each arm - I have three! One on the front, one on the back and one on inside of the sleeve.
Perhaps it just comes down to practice but if anyone has any tips for me I would greatly appreciate it.

This week has had its sad moments for me. One of my friends at work lost someone very close to her and so was off work for four days. I made this card for her just to let her know that she was in my thoughts.


Then today, my best friend in the office is leaving us. She is going to stay home until the end of January, how lucky is she, and then she will be finding a new job. Saying goodbye is so hard but at the same time I am so happy for her and just wish her all the best of luck.

This weekend we are hoping to get a way for a day or two. We will probably go up north and visit some Christmas markets and some new places. I hope that we can find somewhere out in the country side to visit but I am sure that whatever we do, it will be good.

Hope that everyone has a great weekend and see you all on Monday.

3 comments:

a friend to knit with said...

oh, you should be so pleased with your placket sweater!
really, it looks fabulous......about the ladders, i don't know why they happened if you were pulling tightly when you made the turn....has it been blocked? perhaps they will show less then.
i think it is beautiful!!!
enjoy your weekend!

Adrienne said...

OH it's too adorable!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

How many needles did you use? if your work was on 3 and you were knitting with number 4, then ladders are hard to avoid, especially if you are new to the technique.

A tip to help avoid ladders is to have the work divided onto 4 needles and knit with number 5. This means the end stitches don't have to be stretched so much at the corners, you still need to be tight with them.

Hope that helps.

(BambooFive on Ravelry)

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online