Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Giving thanks

First off i just want to share this recipe with you. I am sure that a lot of you already have it, or at least something similar but for my non US friends this is definitely a very nice recipe to try.

Whipped Sweet Potato Casserole
Recipe found on Allrecipes.com

Original recipe yields: 5 servings but i just scaled it down for the two of us at our home.

INGREDIENTS
3 medium sized sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoons orange juice
1.5 tablespoons brown sugar
Sprinkle of ground nutmeg and cinnamon
1 tablespoons butter
miniature marshmallows

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a large saucepan cook sweet potatoes in salted water over medium-high heat for about 20 minutes, or until done.
Drain, and add orange juice, brown sugar, spices and butter. Whip until smooth. Spread into a medium size casserole dish and top with marshmallows.
Bake in preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until marshmallows are golden brown
My notes
I did find this recipe a little on the sweet side so next time i will probably skip the sugar all together. Oh yeah, I almost forgot that i made one big casserole rather than smaller ones.
Now onto my tittle. Everyone knows that this month is Thanksgiving in the US. When i lived there, this as well as Christmas, was my favourite holiday. Since i moved to the UK i haven't celebrated it in the sense of decorations and turkey but i do still take this opportunity to give special thanks for those things in my life that are special to me. Often things that i overlook or take for granted suddenly get the attention that they deserve. I do try and live with a grateful heart but i guess there is always room for improvement, right?
So, here is my list of things that i am grateful for. Thing that have been around for as long as i can remember and things that i am grateful for just today.
* My new car, Feebie. I am so grateful to have her and to know that she is in good condition and is reliable.
* For being able to see my gran this year and to spend some time with her
* Having a little sachet of Hot Chocolate sitting in my desk draw just waiting for me to need a pick me up
* My family who have blessed me in so many ways this past year
* Stuart has managed to pass his truck licence test and is now much happier at his job
* I just love the talents that God has blessed me with. Painting, Knitting, scrapping, drawing and so much more.
* Thankful for my freedom and safety that i have
* For the job that i have even though at times i wish i worked somewhere else
There is so much more that i have to be grateful for but i am doing this at work today so probably should stop here for now.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Be safe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynne,
Happy Thanksgiving! I have a pumpkin cheesecake in the oven. You may have picked up from one of my blog posts that I am enlisting prayer partners to help us pray for our mission launch we feel God has called us to plant on the California Mexico border. I am enlisting new and old friends and especially want partners on the various continents. Will you be willing to be my prayer partner in EUrope? Or, maybe you know someone who has the ministry of intercession. Have a great day.
Melissa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this reciepe ! It looks like grat ! slurp !

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online