Sunday, July 13, 2008

[ Believe in better days ]

[ Painting done by myself a few weeks ago while
i was feeling down about things ]

Today has been a bit of a difficult day for me. It has been a lonely day if i am honest with everyone. I just don't have many friends here in the UK. I have many friends back home and even my friends in the states but where i live, i only really have two friends. Julie who has a boyfriend and who i only recently bumped into again after not being in touch for about 3 years and other friend is my ex.

I have been in the country for 7 years and can only say that i have 2 friends. That is so sad. Sure i know people that i used to work with or currently work with but we don't go out, we don't spend time together. I miss it. I dream of having friends round for dinner or going on holiday together or just going shopping. I don't have that and what makes me feel worse is that i don't know what to do about it to fix it.

When i was with my ex he didn't like me spending time with friends which means that i didn't get much opportunity to build any of my own friendships. The only friends i had were his friends. Then when i split up with him, his friends no longer wanted to know me which of course has left me where i am right now.

It has been six months and i have still only know that people that i knew when i was with him. Its not his fault, i am not blaming him but i just don't know what to do about it.

If there are no people that you can be real friends with at work how do you meet people to make friends? I don't have children so cant meet other parents, i don't know anyone so cant meet any of there friends. I don't go to Uni or College so cant meet people there. I go to gym but its not really somewhere where you meet up and chat to people.

It feels hopeless if i am being honest. All that i want is a real friend. Someone who i can spend time with, share things with and who knows me. I don't think that is too much to ask. I am a nice person and i make a good friend. I'm just quiet and am not very comfortable putting myself out there.

That then leads me on to if i cant meet any friends how am i ever going to meet my future husband? I don't want to be alone forever but i have this horrible image in my head of it being exactly like that. I would love to believe in fairy tales but what are the chances of me just bumping into Mr Right, or of him just walking up to me in ASDA and asking me for my number? Not very high i would say.

3 comments:

MaryFran said...

I'm in a similar situation. Where does one go to meet and make friends?

Not sure I would recommend this...but I met my husband on the internet about 10 years ago. (A co-worker just got married...she met her husbnad through match.com or one of those similar dating sites). If you go that route...just be CAREFUL!

Cammy@TippyToeDiet said...

I understand your problem. Most of my good friends live elsewhere, too.

Some ideas for meeting people are volunteering in a cause you believe in (also good for karma points *G*), joining a book club or other type of club (maybe something to do with your art, which is GORGEOUS), taking classes or attending workshops, visiting a church with an active singles group, taking an exercise class, etc. Even joining a group like Weight Watchers for the social aspect of it might be a good idea. There are even groups listed on Sparkpeople: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_subcategory.asp?CatId=561 You never know, it might lead to a local connection.

Anonymous said...

Awww... {hugs}

I know it can be hard. I have always lived in my same hometown, yet after high school, its like, everyone disappeared. Its really sad! I have no really close girlfriends any more.

My only suggestion would be to join classes. Do things that you love! But, do it for you! It'll make you happy and in turn draw people to you with your same interests. Take a cooking class, or some sort of art class. Join a team. Maybe even join in at church events or studies. But the key is making yourself happy first, then everything else will fall into place.

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online