Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sewing Tutorial: Apron

This is my first apron that i have sewn and i am a very new sewer but thought that someone else out there might find it useful to see how i made this little cutie. I finished it last night and am so pleased with how it turned out.

I searched loads of places for a pattern and although there are loads out there i couldn't find one that i liked or that i could figure out - so i made my own. Now i know its not exactly rocket science or anything but i took each step one at a time.

Step 1: Choose the fabrics that you want to use as well as get together all your supplies.
Step 2 : I drew my own pattern onto brown paper, cut it out and pinned it to my fabric. Once i was happy with it i cut out the fabric.
Step 3: I decided that i wanted to have three pockets on my apron and my mom suggested, to make them a little stronger, that i added some sort of bias to them. I didn't have any at home so decided to use ribbon instead. I pinned the ribbon down and then sewed my seams on the front pouch. My seams are 3/4 inches wide.

Step 4: Place the front pouch on the backing fabric and pin this down. Once you are happy with the positioning sew on both side of the ribbon or bias.

Step 5: Sew the front pouch onto the back fabric, remembering to leave the top part of the pouch loose. Pin and sew the seam on the larger backing fabric.
Step 6: Cut out your ties that you are going to use according to your preference. I didn't measure mine so not able to give you any of those details.
Step 7: Pin and sew your seam on the ties and then attach to the sides of the apron. The first tie that i put on i attached to the top of the apron and then had to unpick it and resew it so just double check! lol

Once both ties are done your apron is basically finished. Once i had this i decided to add the felted birdie to it. I hand drew the bird, cut it out and then sewed it on by hand.

I should have ironed my apron before photographing it but i was just so pleased with it i couldn't wait.
I hope that this has been helpful to someone.

And the winner of the RAK is TCake! Please email me your address!

2 comments:

Debbi said...

That apron rocks.

Anonymous said...

bonjour!

cool apron.

PROLIX

{ThE fReNcH tOuCh}
http://prolix.typepad.fr

 

blogger templates | Make Money Online